Thursday, October 16, 2008

Blog #8 In-class blog "Overwhelmed"

Coming up with ideas for an essay is defintiley easier than writing it. Of course that is a no-brainer. Thinking back to our conference, i know what the strengths and weaknesses were of my first essay. Concepts and ideas is what i really have to think about.

Before i read my classmates comments, i looked over my ideas that i posted as possible topics for my second essay. I broke them down and thought about the concepts/ideas that would go along with them.

  • Fright Fest- concept of fear
  • Diving Board - concept of fear, fear of heights maybe?
  • Escalators- fear again....but its not a top candidate for an essay
  • My first ticket - thats something you just dont forget. changes ur perspective of when driving on the road
  • bro leaving for college - that was a sad day. concept of a time i was sad.
  • Two of my favorite games- thats all i can say about them. so it wouldnt be a top candidate either
  • The doll house and playhouse -those were things my father built for me. i recall the dollhouse more. I loved the dollhouse. I would be playing with it all the time. The furniture and people were from Playmobile. i dont remeber the last time i had it and why i no longer have it anymore. obvious reason is maybe now im older? it fell apart? thats something i'll have to ask my parents and see.
  • the jungle gym- this wassomething my father built for my siblings and i. i remeber it well, but thats all.
  • I also remeber playing with barbies, my blanket I would always have by my side, reading the lil sister series and then couple years later reading the baby sitters club books. (I'm just thinking of childhood toys and books i used to play and read.)
Based on the comments from my classmates, the popular topics were the diving board, dollhouse, playhouse, and jungle gym.

Now i know what i would write about if i choose the diving board, however im a lil less unsure of the playhouse, dollhouse, and jungle gym.

The problem that im having is if I was to write about that what would my concept be? I can write about it, but i dont know what the reason would be? I remeber having them and playing with them. Am i making sense? I hope so.

"The light bulb is flicking" because I am starting to get a better sense of what creative nonfiction really is. Its easier to write fiction, because it is just a story, however nonfiction is tougher. It has to have a reason for telling a particular story, and that is the problem that i am having. What about this? What about that? Why? and so on. Hmmmm

No comments: